Summer Sun | France Part 1

Wednesday 25 June 2014 ·

We never went back to the same place twice when I was younger and so I had been hoping to go back to the Dordogne since we went when I was about 5 years old (nearly 20 years ago!). So imagine how happy I was when I finally got my return trip to Sarlat all booked up for Matthew and my parents...!


Our villa for the week. It was so lovely being able to eat all our meals out on the terrace under the wisteria. 

Day One - Sarlat
The beautiful buildings of Sarlat. I loved the mix of timber framed and complete stone and all the different coloured shutters. There literally wasn't a single ugly building in the whole town. 
The cathedral in Sarlat turned this fantastic almost orange colour as the sun went down in the evenings and the contrast with the still bright blue sky was so striking I couldn't resist taking a picture. 
On the first night my dad surprised me and took us all to my favourite restaurant in Sarlat from when we'd visited back when I was 5 - who would have thought it would still be open all these years later?! The food was fantastic and there was so much of it - 3 courses for 15! It was in the sweetest little courtyard set back from the main streets so it was away from the hustle and bustle of everything. 

Day Two - Domme
The next day we headed over to Domme, a beautiful village set up on the hillside. Like everywhere we visited the buildings were to quaint. I love the little balcony on this house - it reminded me a little bit of Romeo and Juliette. 
There were some lovely little shops in Domme all selling handmade products. This shop was selling terracotta soaps which are infused with essential oils and so it smelt absolutely incredible! I picked up some little terracotta serving bowls for nibbles which I thought would be great for when Matthew and I move in together next month. 

Day Three - Rocamadour
Rocamadour was yet another beautiful village that we visited, by this point I was beginning to think that everywhere in France is this lovely. It was so nice to be coming outside the main tourist season as apparently in the middle of the summer you can barely move down this main street!
Mum and I have a habit of befriending a cat more or less everywhere we go (crazy cat ladies alert!) and so we spent some time fussing over this little guy before Matthew and my dad dragged us off to visit the sanctuary. 
Up above the main village, set in the hillside, is this incredible sanctuary which pilgrims, historically, would climb 216 steps on their knees to reach believe it or not! The views were unbelievable and it was so quiet and relaxing up there.   
It was so beautiful up there we had to take some pictures of us all... 
...Mum and dad managed to steal the better view though - typical! 

Check back soon for Summer Sun: France Part 2 to see what we got up to for the rest of the trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment