EXPLORE | Columbia Road Flower Market

Saturday 8 February 2014 ·

I'm not usually one for making New Year's resolutions for the same reasons I don't give anything up for Lent - I never manage to make them last! But this year I decided to try to do more in London and truly appreciate this fantastic city. I've only been living down here for about 6 months now but I don't really feel like I've been making the most of living in such a great city! Therefore this is going to be the first of (hopefully) many posts about my adventures in London this year.

I heard about Columbia Road flower market a few months ago through EssieButton and it's been on my list of things to do ever since, but as it's on a Sunday, my lazy day, and it's up in Shoreditch, I've been putting it off each week. But last weekend my boyfriend and I finally made our way up there and my gosh was it worth it! 
The weather had been awful all of Friday and Saturday but I woke up on Sunday morning to be greeted by clear blue skies and I couldn't have been happier. We jumped on the bus up to Shoreditch, it took an hour but it was a nice relaxed start to the day (unlike the tube)! I thought the market was going to be MUCH bigger than it was in reality. It's located on quite a narrow, quaint street lined with a number of independent shops. 


I was literally blown away by the variety of flowers and plants (and the reasonable prices), you can buy everything from tulips to potted bedding plants, and cacti to bay trees. I was very spoilt for choice and had to keep reminding myself that I only have 2 vases at home! In the end I settled for some coral pink and yellow tulips to add a pop of colour to my room and some gypsophila to fill it out a little bit.


I can't recommend this market enough, and I love my markets, it might be a little out of the way (at least from Clapham) but it's well worth the journey. It's one of the few London markets that hasn't been taken over by the touristy vibe. You can see all of the locals there buying their flowers for the week and there is always some banter going on between the stall holders. All of whom are absolutely lovely and more than happy to give advice / opinions should you need them. 


If you have any recommendations of other things  I should incorporate into my adventures in London write me a comment below.

P.s. If you've never checked out Essiebutton make sure to head over there now as her posts are fantastic and her personality really shines through!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment