An Evening in Covent Garden

Saturday 22 February 2014 ·


My parents love an excuse to come and visit me in London so I thought what better Christmas present than some theatre tickets. However, I didn't quite think through the logistics of buying tickets as a gift - getting the date right, what show etc etc, so in the end I chose to make them a homemade gift voucher entitling them to tickets of their choice making things far simpler.

So, Valentine's weekend my parents came down to the big city to go to the theatre and generally explore a little more of London - they lived here when they were younger but you've never seen it all right?! The show they chose was War Horse at the New London Theatre which I have to admit I have been wanting to see for months and months so it couldn't have been a better choice!


After a day of mooching about West London we headed over to Covent Garden at around 5pm so that we could grab a bite to eat before the show. As it was the night before the BAFTA awards at The Royal Opera House Covent Garden was buzzing - believe it or not, even more than usual - as they were setting up the red carpet etc which I have to admit was very exciting - closest I've ever gotten to a red carpet! After wandering around for  a little while we decided to go to Brasserie Blanc which is above the covered market. The food was incredible, so good in fact that I totally forgot to take any pictures, sorry!



By the end of dinner, I was beside myself with excitement for War Horse and I wasn't wrong. I love the theatre so it's very rare that I go and see something and don't enjoy it (in fact I can't think of anything I really haven't enjoyed) but this was a whole new level. It was utterly incredible! I was a little sceptical, thinking I'd be distracted by the puppeteers and so wouldn't be able to fully immerse myself in the story but I couldn't be more wrong. Clearly for the first 10/15 minutes you watch the puppeteers, which in itself is fascinating, but after that you literally don't notice them. I cannot recommend this show highly enough, it is a must see - although take some tissues as does tug at your heart strings!



Has anyone else been to see War Horse, or anything else for that matter, at the theatre recently? What did you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment