BAKING | Raspberry Crumble Squares

Wednesday 9 April 2014 ·


I got my usual urge to bake on Sunday and after browsing pinterest for a while I decided to try making Raspberry Crumble Squares. I'm a sucker for  a good crumble so the idea of being able to snack on one of these whenever I fancied was enough to get me down to the shops for the necessary ingredients!! 

This is ridiculously easy to make and believe it or not requires only 7 ingredients!! It takes only 10 minutes to prep and then between 30-35minutes cooking time. 

Now lets jump on in... 
Ingredients: 

  • 4.5oz plain flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3oz rolled oats
  • 3.8oz light brown sugar
  • 4oz unsalted butter
  • 8oz raspberry jam
Step 1
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line an 8x8inch baking tray with greaseproof paper. 

Step 2
Mix together the plain flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl until evenly distributed. Add in the rolled oats and light brown sugar, making sure to break up any lumps of sugar with your fingers. 

Step 3
Add in the butter and work this into the dry mixture using your fingertips - this can get a little messy but it's a lot of fun. It can take some time but be patient, when it's done it should look a little like the below picture. 

Step 4
Add about 3/4 of the mixture to the baking tray and push the mixture down in the tray until it reaches all of the corners - try and keep the layer as even as possible although it's not the end of the world!

Step 5
Add the raspberry jam on top of the crumble mixture and smooth as evenly as possible. Try and keep a border of about 1/4 inch around the edge of the jam (I didn't on my first batch that I photographed but I found that the jam on the edges tended to burn slightly so leaving a gap prevents this).
Step 6
Take the rest of the crumble mixture and sprinkle this over the top of the jam. Again keep this as even as possible, I find that by sprinkling it from a greater height this helps with getting an even spread. Then press this crumble mixture gently into the jam to make sure it is firmly secured.
Step 7
Now place the baking tray in the oven and set the timer. I would suggest checking on it after about 25 minutes just to see how it's doing although it will probably take at least 30 minutes - this can vary between ovens!
Now comes the best bit, take them out of the oven - they should look lovely and golden brown on the top and you might be able to see some of the jam bubbling under the surface slightly depending how thick your top layer is! Let them cool for 20 minutes or so before cutting them, believe me I know it's hard but it'll be worth the wait.
These are absolutely delicious if I do say so myself! I love them with some fresh raspberries as they just add a 'freshness' that lightens the whole thing up. They'd also be lovely with a bit of ice cream!

I'm already planning on making yet another batch but with apricot jam this time! Make sure to send me a picture on twitter or instagram if you make these as I'd love to see how yours turn out! 



No comments:

Post a Comment