DIY | Terrarium

Wednesday 23 April 2014 ·

I absolutely love living in London but one of the things I miss most about home is my garden. Whenever I go home I always spend as much time as I can out there - see this post for some pictures! So I try and have fresh flowers in my room in London whenever I can but this isn't the most financially viable option unfortunately! So for the last few weeks every time I've walked passed the florist I've had to resist the urge to go and buy some flowers, and then Essie Button's Spring DIY video popped up on my YouTube subscription box! This gave me some inspiration to spend my Easter weekend making a terrarium!

They're so easy to make that to be honest a DIY is probably not necessary but I had so much fun making it that I had to share it with you. All you need for this is doe cacti and succulents of your choice, a pot/vase/bowl, cacti repotting soil and some pebbles (I used grit for chickens - don't ask! But you could use aquarium pebbles).

The first thing to do is pour some of the cacti repotting soil into your container - you only need enough to comfortably fit the cacti in so not too much. I then placed my cacti in the vase in their plastic pots first so that I could get an idea of where I wanted them all to go.
Once you've decided where you want them all to go all you have to do is take them out of their little plastic pots and get them planted in. You might want to use a pair of tongs to plant the so as to avoid getting any spines in your fingers although it might not be necessary.

The final step is to sprinkle in some of your grit or pebbles - make sure to get as close around the base of the cacti as possible so you can't see any of the soil from up above. I absolutely loved how the chicken grit looked in my terrarium as it has broken up shells in too which makes it look like a little beach scene! You might also want to give them a little spritz with some water too once your finished.
Heres the final product - as you can see Monty was intrigued by it, luckily he didn't get too close so there were no spines stuck in his nose!! I was so happy with my glass version that I decided to also throw together one in a little terracotta pot which I painted a lovely muted olive green.


I'm so pleased with both of these terrariums (is the one in a pot even called a terrarium? I'm not too sure!! All I know is that these will make a fantastic addition to my room down in London and will hopefully stop me spending a fortune on fresh flowers - we'll see though!! That is if I don't kill them - I'll keep you updated.

If you guys make a terrarium please tweet / instagram (@theopaldiary) me a photo as I would love to see how yours turn out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment